This is a sample coaching map from our book series Coaching Conversations - we hope you find this helpful!
- Use GOAL-Based Coaching to help your coaching target decipher what they truly want out of their position, or if what they want to do in their career is even within the position they are in at all. Often, a disengaged employee may feel as though they are not serving a purpose in or do not enjoy their position at all.
- Third-Party Question: If we were to ask your peers to describe your engagement at work, what do you think they might say and why?
- Self-Actualized Question: In what ways do you think you might help to change that perception?
- GOAL-Based Coaching: What does your coaching target hope to accomplish or become Great at in their career? What Opportunities might be presented to the individual as a result of becoming great? What Actions might you and the employee take together to help bring those opportunities within reach? What will your coaching target Love about reaching these goals?
Suggested Learning Projects:
- Observational Coaching: Ask the employee you are coaching to observe their peers in the coming week as they participate in daily activities. In what ways does the engagement of their peers differ from the engagement of your coaching target, and how do they show it outwardly? How might the employee’s engagement change their relationship with their peers?
- Journal-Based Coaching: Ask the employee you are coaching to journal during the times when they feel most engaged at work. What is happening in those particular situations to help the individual feel engaged? On the opposite side, they should also journal when they feel the least engaged and why they think they might be feeling that way. What can they do in those situations to help themselves feel more engaged?
Supplemental Coaching Strategies:
- Non-Verbal Coaching: Inspire your coaching target to reach their goals by sharing articles, books, or handwritten notes with them related to the goals you discussed in your activity. When writing a note to the employee, share specific scenarios where you noticed their engagement at a higher level and what they did in those situations that helped bring them closer to their goals.
Want More Info On Coaching Maps? CLICK HERE
Join us for a FREE webcast on coaching during our "new normal": https://tinyurl.com/y9jty2jh