This is a sample coaching map from our book series Coaching Conversations - we hope you find this helpful!
- Using a Define & Coach strategy, ensure that you and your coaching target are under the same understanding of what it means to lead with positivity. Use GOAL-Based Coaching to set specific goals with this person and create a strategy to implement to reach those goals.
- Define & Coach: When you think about someone that uses positivity to lead their team, what do you think that person’s actions specifically look like?
- Third-Party Question: If we were to ask your team how they would describe your leadership approach, what do you think they might say and why?
- GOAL-Based Coaching: What does the your coaching target aspire to become Great at as a leader? What Opportunities might be afforded to the individual by becoming great? What Actions must the individual take to bring those opportunities within reach? What will the individual Love about reaching their goals?
Suggested Learning Projects:
- Self-Directed Learning: Assign your coaching target to have one positive leadership moment each day with a different member of the team. They should come back to your next coaching session with what strategy they implemented in each situation, as well as what the observed outcome after the interaction was.
- Journal-Based Coaching: Ask your coaching target to keep a journal with entries noting their positive leadership journey – what are some situations where they felt really successful in utilizing positivity with their team? What are some instances where they still feel like they might be struggling to stay positive and why? What strategies can they implement to remedy those situations in the future?
Supplemental Coaching Strategies:
- 30-Second Coaching: Reinforce positivity using positivity! Take 30 seconds to acknowledge specific instances where the individual showed leadership through positivity. Share with them the actions that you had observed and let them know why those actions are appreciated by you and beneficial to the team.
- Observational Coaching: Ask your coaching target to observe other leaders within the company as they interact with their teams. What are some specific instances where they observed positive leadership by their peers? What have they learned and can put into practice from their observations?
Want More Info On Coaching Maps? CLICK HERE