This is a sample coaching map from our book series Coaching Conversations - we hope you find this helpful!
- By communicating or rehashing the mechanisms and shared definition of standards, your employees will have the skills and knowledge necessary to achieve those standards.
- Demo Me or Teach Me- Just so I don’t make assumptions about your knowledge or skills, could you teach me the steps behind or measures behind (accountability measures)?
- Risk Question- What risk do you assume by not continuing to work on or learn the skills necessary behind our accountability measures? What can we do together to make sure you learn those things?
- Define and Coach: Follow up with the demo me or teach me conversation by having the employee give you their definition or understanding of accountability measures, then provide your counter for every point they are not in alignment with your definition. This builds clarity and consistency.
- Observational Coaching: After going over your shared definition of accountability, observe this employee for a week and see if they have taken an understanding of the directives given and discussed. Then, after the first week, come together and reevaluate their definition of accountability through your standards.
- Self-Directed Learning: This can be completed in a variety of formats. One of the easiest methods to employ is journal-based coaching, when the employee is responsible for documenting their understanding of accountability measures in a journal. Have them summarize daily two times they were successful, and one time where they could have done something differently. Then, have them send you an email at the end of the week to help facilitate your observational coaching conversation the next week.
- Non-Verbal Coaching: Leave your coaching target a hand-written note on their desk when you observe improvement in their accountability. This will be an easy task when you observe them throughout the week. Make sure your note is specific and descriptive.
Want More Info On Coaching Maps? CLICK HERE
Join us for a FREE webcast on coaching during our "new normal": https://tinyurl.com/y9jty2jh