Coaching your employees to be motivated can be difficult. Motivation comes from within, so its not a surprise when a manager saying, "everyone needs to be more motivated" doesn't help increase motivation at all. Motivation is tricky, not everyone is motivated by the same thing or in the same way, but when everyone is motivated, the results include progress, engagement, and success.
Here are just a few of the benefits for having motivated employees:
- Better Productivity: Employees who are motivated are willing to go above and beyond what needs to be done, thus producing the best possible products and services.
- Increased Retention: Motivated Employees are more likely to stay with their current company and not look elsewhere.
- Saves Money: Better productivity and improved quality of services transfers to increased savings for the company.
- Increased Engagement: A motivated employee is one who cares about their work and is committed to their companies goals and values.
Now that you know a few of the great things that come from motivated employees, you're probably wondering how you can receive these benefits. Here are a few tips on how to coach your employees to have higher motivation.
- Be a Role Model: Your employees look up to you. By showing them that you are working hard and are motivated, it inspires them to be motivated as well.
- Clear Goals: Having clearly defined goals for the organization, for your sales team, and for each individual employee gives your employees something to work towards, and keeps them motivated.
- Empower your Employees: Let your employees make some of the decisions. Give them a say in what they do, or ask their opinion, this helps them feel more connected to the work they are doing and motivates them to get it done.
- Monitor Progress: As a manager, keep an eye on how your employees are progressing toward their goals. For example, if John has a goal that spans six months, and in month four he works really hard to go above what he needed to work toward that goal, make sure to recognize that and even reward John for his effort and progress.
Motivation is essential to a company because it leads to progress. Coaching your employees helps them to become more motivated and to reach their goals.